Special Events Ordinance and Application
Special Event Permit is required for
profit and non-profit events
including but not limited to:
- outdoor festivals.
- flea markets.
- outdoor rummage sales (not required for residential
- sidewalk sales.
- outdoor grand openings.
- use of large balloons or tents.
- balloon rides.
- fun runs, bicycle races, walk-a-thons.
and similar types of activities which
- may be or may not be designed for pecuniary profits.
- do not seek a permanent site or business location.
- are of such a nature as to be acceptable to the general
public with regard to morals, safety features, and the conduct
of the special event participants.
- where the activity is not otherwise permitted in the zoning
ordinance. (See Section 5, Article IV of the
application must be made to the City Clerk along with the
necessary fees. No permit will be issued for any special event at
any location where such use is not permitted by the Zoning
Ordinance without first obtaining approval by the Zoning Board of
A special event permit is not required for parties or
gatherings at a private residence or subdivision commons area,
garage/yard sales, estate sales (unless it is an auction – see
Auctions). Please note that the City
does not allow any street closings unless it is a dead-end or
cul-de-sac and a signature is provided from all residents affected
by the street closing.
Check with the City Clerk's Office at (248) 871-2414 to see if
a permit is required for your special event.