Skip To Content

Special Events Ordinance and Application

Parade led by bagpiperA Special Event Permit is required for profit and non-profit events including but not limited to:
  • outdoor festivals.
  • flea markets.
  • outdoor rummage sales (not required for residential yard/garage sales).
  • sidewalk sales.
  • outdoor grand openings.
  • use of large balloons or tents.
  • balloon rides.
  • spotlights.
  • fun runs, bicycle races, walk-a-thons.
  • parades.
and similar types of activities which
  • may be or may not be designed for pecuniary profits.
  • do not seek a permanent site or business location.
  • are of such a nature as to be acceptable to the general public with regard to morals, safety features, and the conduct of the special event participants.
  • where the activity is not otherwise permitted in the zoning ordinance. (See Section 5, Article IV of the City Code.)

Girl trying to bite an apple on a string at a carnival.An application must be made to the City Clerk along with the necessary fees. No permit will be issued for any special event at any location where such use is not permitted by the Zoning Ordinance without first obtaining approval by the Zoning Board of Appeals.

A special event permit is not required for parties or gatherings at a private residence or subdivision commons area, garage/yard sales, estate sales (unless it is an auction – see Auctions). Please note that the City does not allow any street closings unless it is a dead-end or cul-de-sac and a signature is provided from all residents affected by the street closing.

Check with the City Clerk's Office at (248) 871-2412 to see if a permit is required for your special event.