Absent Voter Ballot
- Voters on the city’s permanent absent voter ballot application list should receive their application to obtain a ballot for the November 7, 2023 General Election by the end of August.
- Following the passage of Proposal 2 in 2022, the State of Michigan is providing pre-paid postage to return absent voter ballot applications and ballots. No stamps required!
- Proposal 2 also allows for voters to be placed on a permanent ballot list. Voters who request to be placed on this list will no longer need to apply for an absent voter ballot prior to each election. A ballot will automatically be mailed to the voters’ registered address or an alternate address if provided to the City Clerk’s Office.
Options for returning your absent voter ballot application:
- By mail with pre-paid postage
- One of the drop boxes located throughout the City
- In-person to the City Clerk’s Office located inside City Hall at 31555 W. Eleven Mile Road.
- Email FHClerk@fhgov.com
Permanent Ballot List
Any registered voter can now request to be added to the city’s permanent ballot list to automatically receive an absent voter ballot for every Election. To join the list, fill out an Absent Voter Ballot Application and check the box that states, “Automatically send me an absent voter ballot for each future election for which I’m eligible.” A signed application is required to be placed on the permanent ballot list. Voters may return their application by mail, email to FHClerk@fhgov.com, one of the ballot drop boxes located throughout the City, or in-person to the City Clerk’s Office located inside City Hall at 31555 W. Eleven Mile Road.
- The Clerk’s Office begins mailing absent voter ballots 40 days prior to an Election.
- Ballots do not get forwarded. Ballots will automatically be mailed to the voters’ registered address unless a temporary address is provided.
- Voters that wish to have their ballot sent to a temporary address should contact the City Clerk’s Office as soon as possible so that delivery of their ballot is not delayed.
- Voters on this list should provide contact information to the City Clerk’s Office so we may contact you if there is an issue with your ballot.
OPTIONS FOR VOTERS WHO WISH TO SPOIL THEIR ABSENT VOTER BALLOT OR OBTAIN A REPLACEMENT BALLOT:
There are a number of reasons why a voter may want to spoil an absent voter ballot which they have already voted and/ or submitted, or to obtain a new ballot if they never received their original.
Requests to spoil an absent voter ballot or for a replacement absent voter ballot must be submitted in writing.
The following chart illustrates the deadlines, possible scenarios and the voter’s options:
Replacement Absent Voter Ballot Request Form