City Manager

The City Manager has an open-door policy regarding citizens. No appointment is necessary. It is best, however, to call and schedule an appointment at (248) 871-2500 so you can be sure the City Manager will be there when you visit.


Yes, if the portion you are working on is in the City’s right-of-way (approach). (Please refer to the “Roadway Jurisdiction Map” to determine if you will need a City Right-of-Way Permit or a County Right-of-Way Permit.)

We have floodplain maps available at the Engineering Division at City Hall for the public to view, or you can click here to view the maps on the Oakland County website.

You can report street light outages/damage with this form. Please complete as much information as possible.

The City has a comprehensive Capital Improvement Plan for local road rehabilitation, please contact the Engineering Division at (248) 871-2560 for information on your area.

Call or come into the Engineering Division at City Hall to discuss the proposed work and we will inspect and advise you of the proper permits required. Ditch enclosures are the property owner’s responsibility.

Call the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) at (586) 753-3700

Call the Engineering Division at (248) 871-2560 and we will send out someone to investigate and make a recommendation.

Call the Engineering Division and we will send out someone to investigate and make a recommendation.

Call Engineering at (248) 871-2560 or come to the Engineering Division at City Hall where maps are available for viewing.

Flags are set by various utility companies in order to identify underground utilities prior to construction activities in the area. Contact the Engineering Division at City Hall at (248) 871-2560 and someone will investigate to find out what work is proposed.


The City is a tax collection agent for other taxing agencies providing service in the City including the Farmington, Walled Lake and Clarenceville School Districts; Oakland County Intermediate School District; State of Michigan; Oakland and Schoolcraft Community Colleges; Oakland County; Huron Clinton Metropolitan Authority; Farmington Community Library; Oakland Transit; Oakland County Zoological Authority; and the Oakland County Art Institute Authority. In fact, only about 40% of your tax dollar goes to the City of Farmington Hills, depending on which local school district you are in. Education (including local schools, intermediate schools, community colleges and the state) receives about 45%, while the remaining agencies, including Oakland County receive about 15%.

At this time, the City does not require that cats be licensed.

Go to the City’s Dog License webpage for current year tag fees and payment methods.
Per City ordinance, you must have a kennel license to keep more than three dogs. Ordinance violations can be reported to the City Zoning Division at (248) 871-2520. Contact Oakland County Animal Control at (248) 858-1090 with any other questions.

Current year property taxes are payable to the City of Farmington Hills up through February 28/29 of the following year. On March 1, the taxes are delinquent and payable to the Oakland County Treasurer. Please be aware that properties with delinquent taxes remaining unpaid for two years will be foreclosed. Please direct questions regarding delinquent taxes to the Oakland County Treasurer at (248) 858-0611. For further information about delinquent taxes please go to http://www.oakgov.com/treasurer.

Please use your tax bill to pay your taxes. If your tax bill for the next season still shows a mortgage company, you will need to contact them to correct their records.

Contact your mortgage company. Many mortgage companies now use a tax service which acquires a copy of the entire tax roll and no longer requests individual bills.

Summer tax bills are mailed on or about June 30 and are payable without penalty thru August 31. Winter tax bills are mailed on or about November 30 and are payable without penalty through February 14. Due dates falling on a weekend or holiday will be extended to the following City business day. NOTE: The lien dates for property taxes are: Summer tax bill – July 1; Winter tax bill – December 1.

Please call the Treasury Division at (248) 871-2480 to request a bill. Remember, failure to receive a tax bill does not waive interest and/or penalties.


The City of Farmington Hills is always look for possible new candidates for paid-on-call firefighters. The City of Farmington Hills will provide all necessary training for all new candidates. To check current openings in the Farmington Hills Fire Department, click here.

The Fire Department does not offer CPR classes; however, CPR classes can be scheduled through the Costick Activities Center at (248) 473-1800.

The batteries must be replaced every six months, so we recommend that you change your smoke detector batteries every time you change your clocks. In addition to changing your smoke detector batteries, your smoke detectors must be tested. Although smoke detectors differ by model (please review your installation and owners manual), most can be tested by pressing and holding the test button on the unit. The smoke detector will usually beep several times.

For details on Fire Department calls, click here to review the Fire Department annual report.

The Fire Department provides advanced life support services and is staffed with firefighters/paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians. Click here for more information about EMT and 9-1-1 Dispatch.

The City of Farmington Hills code requires that all business have an address on the street side of the business. The address must be clearly visible from the street, and be properly maintained. Contact the Zoning Dept. at (248) 871-2520 for details.

All fire hydrants must remain clear at all times and must be visible at all times, for emergency use. Any bushes, flowers and other foliage near a fire hydrant must not hinder the use of the hydrant at any time.

The Fire Department discourages the use of commercially produced outdoor fireplaces; however, use is not prohibited as long as the unit does not produce smoke or noxious odors. If a unit is used, it must be a minimum of 15 feet from any structure and only used seasoned fire wood.

To change or alter an existing system in a commercial building, you must have a permit from the Fire Prevention Division. You can contact them at (248) 871-2820.

Sometimes, multiple fire trucks are needed in order to bring enough firefighters and equipment to handle the emergency. When responding to medical emergencies, we are required to send two licensed paramedics to the scene as quickly as possible. Our goal is to send the two paramedics together, but that is not always possible and they may arrive from two different locations. If a police patrol car is in the area, the officers may also respond. And, for certain types of medical emergencies, we may also send the Battalion Chief vehicle, which has very specialized medical equipment.

For reporting non-emergency incidents, please contact the Dispatch Center at (248) 871-2600. Fire Department administration can be contacted at (248) 871-2800, Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.

The City has an aggressive emergency management program, which is always preparing for many types of disasters including a terrorist attack. The Fire Department has been working to train and equip our firefighters in order to respond to any type of event, and provide a appropriate response. The City also has a commission, called the Citizens Corps Council for Emergency Preparedness, that provides information and sponsors programs to help local citizens prepare for any type of local emergency.

Outside fires are not permitted by Ordinance. Read the Code of Ordinances.

The Fire Department is obligated to transport critically injured patients to the most appropriate and/or closest facility. This will many times be Botsford General Hospital. The Fire Department will also transport to the following facilities based on patient condition: Providence Southfield /Novi, St. Mary’s (Livonia), William Beaumont, Henry Ford West Bloomfield, or Huron Valley Hospital.

The City of Farmington Hills uses a combination of full-time (career) and part-time (paid-on-call) firefighters. Station 5, located at 11-mile and Orchard Lake Road, is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The other four stations are staffed Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM. In the evenings and on weekends, paid-on-call fire fighters respond from their homes, business or other locations, to the stations and then to the emergency. The paid on call firefighters are notified through a radio pager that activates when there is an emergency in their district.

The Fire Department conducts business inspections to ensure that the provisions of the Farmington Hills fire code are met and to identify violations. Inspections are also performed to help educate and protect the occupants from some of the preventable fires.

Five fire stations are strategically located throughout the City. Click here for Fire Station locations.


Yes. Members of the public are welcome to attend all City Council meetings. The City Council generally meets the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Monday of the month. Meetings begin at 7:30 PM and are held in Council Chambers at City Hall (called the Floyd A. Cairns Municipal Building), 31555 W. Eleven Mile at the corner of Orchard Lake Road.

No. All are part-time positions. The City Manager, who is responsible for implementing policies established by the City Council, is a full-time position.

Yes, for those who live or work in Farmington Hills. If you are interested in having the Mayor officiate your marriage, contact the City Manager’s Office at (248) 871-2500. The Mayor usually officiates weddings Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Please have a couple of dates in mind before you call. The fee is $175.

Once the wedding date is set, you will need to go to Oakland County to obtain a marriage license (you can also apply online at www.co.oakland.mi.us). For more information, call the Oakland County Clerk’s Office at (248) 858-0571.

Wedding Information

The Mayor and City Council are part-time positions so they do not keep regular hours at City Hall. However, they welcome your questions and comments. You can write to them at City Hall, 31555 W. Eleven Mile, Farmington Hills, MI 48336. View names, phone numbers and/or email addresses for the Mayor and City Council members.

If you would like to be on the City Council agenda, please put your request in writing to: Mayor and Council, 31555 W. Eleven Mile, Farmington Hills, MI 48336. Include as much detail as possible about the issue you want to address before Council.

You can also come to a meeting and talk to the Mayor & Council during the "Public Questions & Comments" portion of the meeting. Your presentation during this time is limited to 5 minutes.

Farmington Hills operates under the Council-Manager form of government, the most successful and fastest-growing form of government in U.S. municipalities today. The Mayor and six Council members are elected by the community and concentrate on policy issues that are responsive to citizens’ needs and wishes. The City Manager is appointed by Council to carry out policy and ensure that the entire community is being served.

Meetings are generally held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at Farmington Hills City Hall, 31555 W. Eleven Mile, just west of Orchard Lake Road. Meetings begin at 7:30 PM Meetings are also broadcast live on cable Channel 8.1. Be sure to check with the City Clerk at (248) 871-2410 to confirm a meeting date and time.

Farmington Hills became a City on July 1, 1973.

Play, Explore & Learn

Call 248 473-1825 for information on the Home Delivered Meals and Congregate Meal Program. 

Please allow at least three (3) weeks advance notice on application dates for programs. Information provided is confidential and will not be released without your written permission. The scholarship application should be directed to: Department of Special Services Attention: Ellen Schnackel 28600 W. Eleven Mile Rd. Farmington Hills, Michigan 48336 248 473-1800 phone 248 473-1871 fax  eschnackel@fhgov.com 

The Guest Service Desk is open during the above Facility Hours. You can reach a Guest Service Representative at 248-699-6700. 

Check the Activities Guide or click here to search programs and register to search programs and register. 

The Guide is mailed to all households in Farmington Hills and Farmington.  If you want to pick up a physical copy, visit one of our city facilities like The Hawk or the Costick Center, and they can be found at the front desk.  Online copies can be found here.

Hawk passes are sold on a daily, monthly and annual basis. Benefits of holding a pass include access to the fitness center, aquatic center and gymnasium. If you are interested in purchasing a pass, you can contact a member of the Guest Services Team.  

Call 248 473-1826 for information and access to services and programs available to older adults in the community. 

Click here to get more information and register your middle schooler for this program.

To get involved with Mayors Youth Council email hfogarty@fhgov.com for more information.

Apply to have your work displayed at City Hall with the 2024-2025 Public Art Program:
2024-2025 Public Art Program - Exhibition Application

Apply for the Michigan Makers Market at The Hawk on Saturday, October 14:
2023 Michigan Makers Market Artist Application
Apply for Art on the Grand (deadline of Dec 31 each year) 
Apply for the 2024-25 Public Art Program at City Hall (DEADLINE HAS PASSED, FORM NOT ACTIVE); email: karen@fhgov.com or rtimlin@fhgov.com to join our mailing list. 

In event that a class, program, camp, or event is canceled. You will receive a phone call or email from a Department of Special Services representative. Please ensure that we have the correct contact information on file for you upon registration.  

For information and an application to volunteer for Adults 50 & Better programs call 248 473-1830. 

Purchase tickets online here or call 248-473-1850.

You can register for a program in person at The Hawk Guest Services Counter or online at https://recreg.fhgov.com.

Please contact Caroline Adams at cadams@fhgov.com regarding court or field rentals. 

Please contact Caroline Adams at cadams@fhgov.com regarding banquet hall rentals. 

Heritage Park has three shelter locations that can be reserved for a family reunion, party, or almost any special function. The shelters are reserved in person on a first-come-first-serve basis beginning the first Monday in February (February 7th, 2022) at The Hawk - Farmington Hills Community Center Guest Services Counter beginning at 8:30am. (After February 7th, Shelters may be reserved at either The Hawk or the Costick Center Service Desk.) Refunds will only be issued in the event of a severe weather emergency. Electricity is available at the North Shelter. For more information, please call 248-699-6700. 

You can register for summer camps online @ https://recreg.fhgov.com, or in person at The Hawk Guest Services Counter. 

Visit recreg.fhgov.com and visit “Dog Park” under the “Activities” tab to view options. Complete Steps 1 through 3 to obtain access to the Dog Park.

Call 248 473-1864 for reservations and information on the Senior Transportation program. 

Planning and Community Development

According to the City’s Zoning Ordinance, you may store recreational equipment at your home under specific conditions.

No recreational equipment may be stored in the front yard unless you are actively loading or unloading it, and then for a period of not more than 24 hours.

If your recreational equipment is less than 6 feet in height, you may store it in an interior side yard.

If your recreational equipment is over 6 feet in height, it may be stored only within the rear yard. It must be set back at least 6 feet from the rear lot line, 10 feet from the house and at least the minimum side setback of the district.

Since further restrictions apply if you are on a corner lot, and the minimum side setback varies according to your zoning district, and there are lot coverage limitations, we advise you to contact the Zoning Division for information about your specific lot. Further, while the City permits storage of recreational equipment, certain subdivision deed restrictions do not. We advise you to consult with your subdivision association. (34-5.7)

No. Dead trees are exempt from the Ordinance.

A homeowner can remove two protected trees (trees 6" in diameter or greater measured 4’ off the ground) each calendar year without getting a permit unless they are Landmark trees which are generally defined as trees 24" diameter or greater that are in good condition. Tree Permits are required to remove Landmark trees.

Yes. Low- and moderate-income households may be eligible to receive financial assistance through the Housing Rehabilitation Program for code related repairs. Contact the Community Development Office (248) 871-2543 or click here for more information about financial assistance.

No. The City’s Community Development Block Grant funds are used for housing rehabilitation work and capital projects.

No. City efforts have focused on sharing information with the public about the infestation.

There are area limits imposed by the Zoning Ordinance. The area of all accessory uses – the area of your attached garage plus any detached garages and sheds and any other buildings (structures with roofs) on your property are added together. The amount permitted is either 750 square feet or 50 percent of the floor area of your house (not counting the attached garage) whichever is the larger of the two figures but not to exceed a total of 1250 square feet.

You will need a permit from the Building Division for those buildings of 200 square feet or greater.

The proper location of these buildings depends upon the zoning district in which you are located, plus there are limits on the amount of lot coverage permitted, so check with Zoning at the beginning of this process to make it easier. Also, some Subdivision Deed Restrictions do not permit detached accessory buildings, if you have a Subdivision Association, check with them about your deed restrictions.

The Zoning Ordinance can be purchased at the Treasury or by clicking here.

Click here for a list of required permits.

Garage sale/open house signs are permitted but with the following restrictions:

These signs may not have a total surface area greater than 6 square feet for a single faced and shall not exceed height of more than 4 feet.

These signs may not be located in the right-of-way nor on utility poles. They may only be located on private property – and then only with the express consent of the owner. One sign may be located at each entranceway to, the neighborhood in which the open house or garage sale is occurring. These signs may be 6 square feet, 4 feet in height, for seven days, once per calendar year.

These signs may not be posted for a period of more than 7 days.

Garage sales are permitted only as an accessory use. For example, if the frequency of garage sales at a single address exceeds one in the Spring, one in the Fall, it could be viewed as a business that would not be permitted.

As a general rule, fences over 3 feet tall can only be in the rear yard of your property. Residential Fence Permits are processed at the Zoning Division and cost $10.00. The fence ordinance is listed with the other ordinances. Please submit a complete application along with a proposed plan or survey of your property (survey is preferred). To expedite review by the City, you may wish to submit your completed application to your subdivision association for approval before submitting it to the City. (34-5.12)

There are rules within the City Code that prohibit outdoor storage of junk cars and of junk, trash and debris. Please give us the address of the property at which the suspected violation is located and a description of the problem. Permission for us to enter your property to view the violation would also be helpful. A zoning inspector to whom the area is assigned will investigate. If a violation exists, the inspector will approach the resident, describe the law and the violation and ask for his or her cooperation correcting it.

The Zoning Division often receives complaints about trash that is placed at the curb earlier than the rules permit. (The rules say that all bundles, bags, containers, etc. should be placed at the curb no earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the day before collection. Containers must then be removed no later than 12 hours after collection.) (14-10)

Temporary accessory signs (signs that pertain to the property on which they are located) are permitted within all business districts and within a light industrial district. Temporary wall signs may be erected for a period of 14 days each, not more than 28 days within any 12-monthy period. They may be no larger than 32 square feet and may not extend beyond the wall to which they are attached. Temporary freestanding signs permitted cannot be greater than 20 square feet in area, not more than six (6) feet above the ground and must have setback of at least 5 feet from the property line. Duration is 64 days. (34-5.5)

Temporary sign permits cost $75.00 and must be obtained at the Zoning Division.

Lots of illegal temporary signs are placed at the roadside. Our taxes then go to the pickup and disposal of these signs. Political signs are permitted when they conform to placement and time restrictions. Signs advertising property for sale are permitted only on property that is for sale 6 square feet, 4 feet high and set back at least 5 feet from the property line. Garage sale and open house signs are covered below. Certain types of temporary signs are available for businesses. All other signs – any questions, check with the Zoning Division at 248-871-2520 – are not permitted. Please don’t be one of the litterers that clutters up our community. The roadsides, clear of signs, are far more beautiful, less disturbing to the eye. These illegal signs are quite different from the legal “accessory signs” of our local businesses, who register, who pay taxes, and who are part of the community. (34-5.5)


The City auctions all items via the Internet. Click here to visit the City's auction website. Please click on the Surplus Auction tab to view the items. Items that typically appear for auction include furniture, clothing, electronic items, sporting goods, bicycles, yard maintenance equipment, outdated fire fighting and police equipment and adjudicated police property, etc.

Contact the Investigative Division at (248) 871-2770.

Due to the confidential and sensitive nature of criminal investigations, information and the status of open investigations will not be provided over the Internet. If you are the victim of a crime and request updated information regarding the status of your case, please contact the Investigative Division. You may telephone the Investigative Division during normal business hours at (248) 871-2770, Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Please be prepared to provide the complaint number of your case, if known. If the detective in charge is unavailable to promptly respond, please request to speak with a supervisor.

Click here for information on working for the Police Department?

Requests for the placement of traffic control devices, such as speed bumps or stop signs, should be made to the City’s Traffic Engineer at (248) 871-2560.

Alarm systems are not directly "hooked up" to the Police Department; however, alarm system usage and requirements are addressed by City Ordinance. It requires that all alarm users register their systems with the police department. A $15 registration fee must be paid at the time of registration. A registration form, including a copy of the ordinance, will be mailed upon request. Contact the Crime Prevention Section with any questions or to request a registration form. The phone number for the Alarm Billing Clerk is (248) 871-2720

Copies of police incident and traffic accident reports may be obtained through the Records Section, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday. Reports are generally available 48 to 72 hours after the incident occurred.

In order to obtain a copy of a report the requestor’s name must appear in the report or a notarized authorization is necessary. Certain information, governed by state and federal privacy laws, is always removed from the report, prior to copying. This may include, but is not limited to, phone numbers, witness information, suspect information (until a case is completely adjudicated), and medical data.

Incident report copy fees are: $5 for pages 1-3, $1.50 per page for pages 4-10, and $1 per page for pages 11 and up. All accident reports are $5 regardless of the number of pages.

If you are in immediate danger, or have suffered a sexual assault, and/or need medical assistance as a result of a sexual assault call 911 immediately, or ask a neighbor to call if you are unable. If your situation is not an emergency, but you wish to report the incident, call the Farmington Hills Police Department or come to the Farmington Hills Police Department. All incidents of sexual assault should be reported to law enforcement. This should be done as soon as possible after the incident to preserve evidence. You should also seek medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered.

Firearms cannot be released to persons with felony conviction records. Persons picking up handguns must provide a valid gun registration for those weapons at the time of release. In cases of weapons confiscated as a result of a domestic altercation, the owner must obtain a letter signed and notarized by all parties involved in the incident. In the event the letter cannot be obtained, the owner must obtain a court order mandating the release of those weapons. All property must be authorized for release by the officer in charge of the case. Call (248) 871-2743 for more information.

The Vacation Hotline, (248) 871-2762, is a direct line to a Crime Prevention Section voicemail recorder. It is designed to provide department personnel with information concerning an address, while the resident is on vacation. It does not provide for special attention or extra patrol but is a source of pertinent information to assist personnel responding to a run at that location.
When you call the Vacation Hotline be sure to include your name, address, dates of departure / return, a contact person, and any information such as cars left in the driveway or lights on timers.

Guidelines and suggestions on ways to use landscaping to protect your home. Should you have any questions regarding Crime Prevention, call (248) 871-2750.

Pistols may be purchased directly from a licensed gun dealer without obtaining a LTP. A LTP is required when a pistol is purchased from an individual who is not a licensed gun dealer. Please see the Police Administration Records Section page for more information or call the Records Section at (248) 871-2720.
Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications can be obtained at the Police Department Command Desk. The applications are processed by Oakland County. For more information call (248) 858-0521.

Call 9-1-1. Due to the limited number of available incoming 9-1-1 telephone lines, use of this system is restricted to true emergencies. Use of the 9-1-1 system is reserved to report a serious crime in progress, or just occurred, or a life threatening situation such as a medical emergency, fire, or car accident involving personal injury.

You can call (248) 871-2600 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact other departments within the Police Department, click here.

A Personal Protection Order is a court order that protects you from being harassed, beaten, assaulted, molested, wounded, or stalked. The PPO prohibits a named individual from doing these things to you. It also prohibits the named individual from entering your premises and removing your children, unless there is an overriding court order.

To obtain a PPO you must go to the Oakland County Circuit Court (6th Circuit court) at 1200 North Telegraph in Pontiac, where you ask a clerk for a "do-it-yourself PPO packet." You must follow the instructions carefully when filling out the forms. The forms are then forwarded to a Judge. To have a named individual served notice of the PPO, you can contact the Oakland county Sheriff’s Office Civil Division, located in the same complex, at 1200 Telegraph in Pontiac, or call at (248) 452-9725.

Hours for property release are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (except holidays) from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Property will only be released to the person who is named by the releasing officer. The individual must have identification at the time of release. If the person named is unavailable to pick up their property, they can name an alternate person to pick it up. That person must have a letter signed and notarized by the owner of the property, authorizing that individual to pick up their property. That person must also provide proper identification at the time of release. Questions concerning property should be directed to the Property Officer at (248) 871-2743, weekdays between 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM.

If you have a missing or runaway pet, you should contact the Oakland County Animal shelter at (248) 391-4102, or the Farmington Hills Police Department at (248) 871-2610. All lost or stray animals found by the Farmington Hills Police Department are turned over to the Oakland County Animal Shelter.

Michigan law requires a report to be filed if the crash occurred on a public roadway and resulted in an injury or combined damage in excess of $1,000. It is often easiest to report a traffic crash at the time it occurs. Officers will respond to the scene when summoned to file such a report. If you are filing a traffic crash report at a later time or date, you will need to contact the other involved party or parties and schedule a mutually acceptable time for all parties to appear at the station. If possible, you should drive the involved vehicle so the officer taking the report may inspect damage. Reports can be made 24 hours a day at the front desk of the police station.

If you are in immediate danger, call 911 or ask a neighbor to call if you are unable. If you are not in immediate danger but wish to report the incident, call the Farmington Hills Police Department or come to the Farmington Hills Police Department. This should be done as soon as possible after the incident to preserve evidence. You should also seek medical attention for any injuries you may have suffered.

Working under our community policing philosophy that encourages a partnership between the police and the community, we offer many programs and services to citizens of all ages. Learn more about Police Department programs.

The Farmington Hills Police Department is located on the City Hall campus on the southwest corner of Eleven Mile and Orchard Lake Roads. Our mailing address is: Farmington Hills Police Department 31655 West Eleven Mile Road Farmington Hills, Michigan 48336-1170

Public Services

Call the Public Services Department at (248) 871-2530 for connection fees.
Call the Farmington Hills Building Division at (248) 871-2450 for additional charges.

Call the Public Services Department and talk with our Environmental Engineer at (248) 871-2530.

Water for the City of Farmington Hills is administered by the Oakland County Water and Sewer Department.  For problems with water pressure or water shutoffs, please call (248) 858-1110.

Public Works

Snow plowing priority is given to major roads and school bus routes.  Local streets are plowed following an accumulation of four inches or more of snow.  If the accumulation is less than four inches, subdivision streets are spot salted on hills, curves, and intersections.

Carpeting must be cut and bundled into sections of four feet or less, not too heavy of bundles, then taped or tied and stacked neatly at the curb.

The Division of Public Works at 27245 Halsted (just south of 12 Mile) has a household battery drop-off box.  It is located near the south end of the building and is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Household batteries may also be taken to a Hazardous Materials Drop-off Day.

To safely dispose of sharps (medical devices including needles, syringes, lancets, blades or any device that could puncture or cut the skin), use an FDA-approved sharps container when possible. Otherwise, a rigid plastic container that can be sealed and labeled properly is a good alternative. When the sharps container becomes full, be sure to seal and label it, and place the container into your trash. Click here to read more information regarding sharps disposal.

Dispose of needles in a hard container such as a laundry detergent bottle or a coffee can.  Tape the lid on, mark it “syringes,” and place it at the curbside with the regular trash. 

If only a small amount is left in the can, brush the paint on newspapers and throw out the empty can and the newspapers at curbside.  If more than 1/2 inch is left in the can, add an absorbent material such as sand or kitty litter.  When paint has solidified, put the can out with the regular trash.  Be sure to leave the lid off so the garbage hauler knows that the paint is dried rather than liquid.  Another option is to use the paint as a base coat or donate it to a school art class, drama club, or local church. Click here for the Household Paint Disposal Guide.

Used motor oil contains contaminants that should not be placed in the regular trash, poured down a drain or on the ground.  It needs to be taken to a Hazardous Materials Drop–off day or taken to a local service station for recycling.  Not all service stations provide this service and prices vary, so call in advance for information. 

Tires are no longer accepted at the curbside.  Please call RRRASOC at (248) 208-2270 for disposal information.

Bulk items such as furniture, mattress, or appliances can go at the curbside with the regular trash. Please note that refrigerator and/or freezers must have their doors taken off for safety.  If item is not picked up by the end of the trash day, please contact the DPW the following morning at (248) 871-2850.

Household hazardous materials are collected at Hazardous Materials Drop-off days which are scheduled from April through October in Farmington Hills and several neighboring communities.  Click here for more information on hazardous materials.

Call the Farmington Hills Division of Public Works (DPW) at (248) 871-2850. They will send someone to investigate and make a recommendation.

There are six holidays during the year when garbage collection is not scheduled: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.  Garbage will be picked up one day late following these holidays with Friday’s collection made on Saturday. 

Call the Division of Public Works at (248) 871-2850 if the tree is on City property.  For dead trees on private property, you will need to call the Planning Department at (248) 871-2540.

Garbage needs to be at the curbside by 7:00 AM or it may be missed. Schedules also can vary from the pickup time you’re accustomed to due to weather conditions or unusually heavy loads and your garbage may not have been picked up yet.  Your garbage might be too large or too heavy; containers must not be more than 35 gallons in capacity and must not exceed 60 pounds.