Traffic Concerns

Traffic Signs and Markings

All complaints, concerns and questions regarding traffic signs and pavement markings should be directed to the appropriate road agency. Both the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) have roadways as shown on the Roadway Jurisdiction Map within the City. They both can be contacted directly at (248) 858-4804. Concerns and questions regarding Major and Local City roadways can be given to the City’s Traffic Engineering Staff at (248) 871-2560.

PDF Icon Roadway Jurisdiction Map

Traffic Control Signals

The City of Farmington Hills has over 125 traffic signals within the City limits. All of these are maintained by the RCOC for each of the road agencies. Four major travel corridors are on the RCOC’s FAST-TRAC/SCATS signal system. These include Orchard Lake Road, Haggerty Road, 12 Mile Road and Grand River/ 10 Mile (from M-5 to Haggerty). All questions, concerns and comments regarding signal operations can be given to the City’s Traffic Engineering Staff at (248) 871-2560.

PDF Icon Traffic Control Signals

Residential Speeding

Travel speed in our residential areas is a regular topic of concern in the City. For that reason the City has a residential traffic control program titled Traffic SAFE TE3 as well as a Traffic Division in our Police Department. General traffic complaints and concerns should be directed to the Police Department at (248) 871-2630. More detailed assistance can be obtained from the Traffic Engineering Staff at (248) 871-2560.


On-street parking is allowed in the City’s residential areas unless there is a posted no parking zone or the vehicle is obstructing any of the items outlined in Section 257.674 of the Michigan Vehicle Code. If a no parking zone is desired, please contact the Traffic Engineering Staff at (248) 871-2560 for more information.

Street Lighting

In the interest of maintaining the rural character of Farmington Hills, the City does not light our residential streets and intersections. However, there is a procedure in place that allows subdivisions and neighborhoods to have overhead street lighting installed. The Residential Street Lighting Procedure Guide outlines the steps needed to have street lighting installed. The individual subdivisions are responsible for all costs associated with the installation and energy. The lighting is actually owned and maintained by DTE Energy Co. By working through the City’s Engineering Division, the subdivisions receive a municipal rate for the electrical fees while at the same time avoid any maintenance and other associated ownership issues.

PDF Icon Residential Street Lighting Procedure Guide