When is a Permit is Required

The following are examples of instances when a building permit is required:

  • New home.
  • Addition.
  • Remodeling Project.
  • Garage.
  • Shed over 200 sq ft.
  • Deck.
  • Pool/Spa.
  • Hot Tub.
  • Roofing.
  • Antenna greater than 12'.
  • Siding.
  • Structural change.
  • Window and exterior door replacement.
  • Change of use; tenant change and ownership change.
  • Change in exiting.
  • Basement finish.
  • Demolition. *Utility shut off notices may be required
  • Signs. *Temporary signs are handled by the Zoning Department

The following are examples of instances when a plumbing permit is required:

  • Water distribution piping greater than 10'.
  • New water service.
  • New sewer service.
  • Second meter (irrigation).
  • Lawn sprinkler.
  • Water heater.
  • Water softener.
  • Floor drain.
  • Sump & pump.
  • Septic bypass.
  • Grease trap.
  • Backflow preventer.

The following are examples of instances when an electrical permit is required:

  • New service.
  • New circuit(s).
  • Furnace.
  • Air conditioner.
  • Water heater.
  • Sump pump.
  • Smoke detector(s).
  • Clothes dryer.
  • Heat pump.
  • Illuminated sign.
  • Generator.
  • Pool/Spa/Hot tub.
  • Carnival.
  • Fire alarm.
  • New oven/range.
  • Dishwasher.

The following are examples of instances when a heating/cooling permit is required:

  • Furnace.
  • Pre-fab fireplace.
  • Wood stove.
  • Gas piping.
  • Air conditioning.
  • Unit heater.
  • New duct.
  • Air handler.
  • Cooling tower.
  • Chillers.
  • Refrigeration.
  • Air cleaner.

Driveways or poured concrete (without footings) does not require a building permit please contact the Engineering Department at (248) 871-2560 regarding right of way permits.

Questions regarding residential fences please contact our Zoning Department at (248) 871-2520.

Questions regarding commercial fencing please contact our Planning Department at (248) 871-2540.

**Please note, a homeowner may only pull permits in lieu of a licensed contractor if they are the registered legal homeowner, the home is the primary residence, and they reside in the house.

Contact the Building Division at (248) 871-2450 with questions regarding permit requirements.

In the following instances, a building permit is not required but compliance with the zoning ordinance must be checked.

  • Playhouses.
  • Playground Equipment.
  • Wading Pools.
  • Patios.
  • Flag Poles.
  • Basketball Backboards.

Contact the Zoning Division at (248) 871-2520 with questions regarding zoning requirements.